Forum

Notifications
Clear all

ASUN AQ Bid Options

Page 1 / 3

UNALions
Topic starter
(@unalions)
Someone posted this over on the UNA forums.

ASUN AQ bid options from sources:

1. Current partnership with the Big South to bring the league to 11 schools (AQ bid already in place)

2. Adding a sixth school (not likely at this point, but ASUN has received interest and expects more once announcement is made tomorrow morning. -- League expects to have six by fall 2022, but work in progress for 2021.

3. Partnership with the Four schools that joined the WAC, Lamar, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, Abilene Christian. Conference call with the league tonight that should provide clarity if there's any movement on that front.

As of now, the most likely option is 1. Current partnership with the Big south, because of what's already in place. But the over the next week or two could determine which way it goes. AQ bid forms are due Feb. 1, so the league wants to have it in, but there can be amendments made.

One more note on the third option, it wouldn't include UNA or KSU and looks like a potential one-year temporary deal. It would include the three new schools, plus those four from the WAC. UNA and KSU would compete in Big South still. 

Again, if I had to rank the options in terms of most likely to happen, I'd go with 1, 3, 2 

13 Replies
Brandon
(@brandon)

If the ASUN finds, or a school that has been approached accepts the invitation soon, it will be ASUN football 2021, right? Unless we are just trying to help the WAC out.

Realistically, there is no reason for the 3 to play with the WAC unless they asked for help. The ASUN and Big South already have the partnership, and wanted it to grow to 12. So the Big South would not have minded that the 3 come in. The ASUN is just helping the WAC, not the WAC helping the ASUN. 

Colonel12
(@colonel12)

As an EKU fan I do not want to be in the WAC. Really hoping we add Peay or Chatty to avoid going to the WAC.

UNALions
Topic starter
(@unalions)

A very in-depth article about JSU moving to the ASUN. Something that jumped out to me, "Seitz said reports of the three new ASUN schools competing in the WAC for one season are not correct."

Check it out!

www.al.com/sports/2021/01/jacksonville-state-officially-leaving-ovc-to-join-asun-conference.html

SAE-EKU
(@sae-eku)

Hopefully no to the WAC, hope another ASun member can be added and it makes everything work, if not let’s do Big South for a year.

Page 1 / 3
Share: